There are many factors that go into being happy. Some people have it naturally… and some of us have to work on it… and that’s okay! We are all hard wired differently, and its just a matter of learning how YOUR body functions.
One factor that many people may not think plays an effect on your happiness is your gut health! When your gut is working sub optimally your brain is not getting all the nutrients it needs to be in its happiest state.
Serotonin, a very important neurotransmitter in the brain is linked to your gut! Upwards of 90% of serotonin is actually created by the bacteria in your gut! Isn’t that crazy! Having a healthy gut is important to keep your neurotransmitters working properly.
The bacteria in our guts can also produce B Vitamins. B vitamins help to keep you calm and stress free. When your body is in the fight or flight mode your B vitamin stores get depleted very quickly. Having optimal gut health to ensure your gut is producing these vitamins is crucial.
If you are in a constant state of indigestion, being uncomfortable, bloated, nausea… then how can you be happy? Digestion is something that I have always battled with, but there are definitely some steps you can take to get your tummies happy, and in turn your brain too!
***These are simple suggestions that anyone can try. If you are a long time sufferer of poor digestion, please contact me so we can delve into what could be the problem, and get you on the road to recovery! Visit http://www.gabbefit.com/ and fill out my contact section to get in touch <3***
- Probiotic!! Get on it. Everyone could benefit from a probiotic. You can even purchase probiotic powder for infants to place on your nipples during breast feeding. You can find a probiotic in any health food stores, many pharmacies and even many grocery stores now. Choose one that has a variety of strains, so your gut doesn’t just get one type of bacteria. If your tummy is a little upset from the probiotic this can be normal. You are adjusting. If after a months time its still uncomfortable, change up your probiotic. Your body probably doesn’t like it.
- Drink warm tea! Eliminate cold water while you are eating. This can slow down your digestion, and we want our bodies to be efficient! Try out some digestive teas, like peppermint, ginger and licorice.
- Eat fermented foods! Fermented food has live bacteria within, like a probiotic. This will help the bacteria in your gut to work even better! Sauerkraut, kimchi, kombucha, miso… all amazing fermented super foods!
- Increase your activity! Our bowls will work better when we are in movement. If you have had a difficult time going, go for a run, do a bunch of burpees, go for walk… it will help!
- Pay attention to how your body reacts to different food combinations. I have had clients where just moving the brown rice from one meal to another one relieved so much digestive tension. Your body will give you signs that it doesn’t like certain food combinations. Pay attention.
- Digestive Enzymes! Sometimes our digestive tracts just need a little help with the process. This is when digestive enzymes come into play. Everything that goes into our stomach will require a specific type of enzyme to break it down (different for different types of sugars, fat, and protein), and your body may not be producing enough of the ones you need for specific meals! Purchase a digestive enzyme supplement with a variety of different enzymes to help with your meals. Take before you eat and see if this gives you some relief.
I hope some of these tips help you find your happiness through gut health! It is possible to have awesome digestion, it just may take some work to find what is perfect for you <3
And we all live healthy and happily ever after <3