One of my favourite fall time/winter foods is cream of mushroom soup! Are you a fan? Are you aware of whats in the canned version?
- Canola oil
- corn (not stated if it is NON GMO or not)
- Modified food starch…
I highly highly encourage you to make your own. It is super super easy, WAY healthier and so yummy.
I want to highlight some of the ingredients I used in this soup to give you the health benefits:
- Immune health. Onions are full of Vitamin C, phyto-nutrients and antioxidants which will help to protect against free radical damage, bacteria and fungus.
- Prebiotics! Onions are full of prebiotics which will feed the bacteria in your gut allowing them to thrive.
- Can help with blood sugar modulation
- High in trace minerals.
- Crimini Mushrooms:
- Tons of fiber, iron, zinc and vitamin D
- Can help with blood pressure (hypertension)
- Helpful in lowering LDL cholesterol (the not so good kind of cholesterol)
- Full of antioxidants that with garlic is shown to be helpful in preventing dementia/Alzheimers
- Can help detoxify from heavy metals
- Fermented so great for the gut because of the probiotics naturally formed during fermentation
- High in amino acids (protein building blocks) and vitamin B12!
- Soothing for digestion, and high in antioxidants!
Okay time for this super easy yummy recipe:
- 1 onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2tbsp butter (or coconut oil if you would like it to be vegan)
- 1 1/2 tbsp miso paste
- 1/2tsp smoked paprika
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- LOTS of crimini mushrooms (I used almost a full large package)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- Melt down the butter in a large frying pan on low heat and chop up your onions and garlic.
- Add the onions and garlic to the butter and begin to cook down.
- Chop up your mushrooms and when the onions begin to cook down a bit add in the mushrooms. *Its important to cook this on a lower heat so you don’t burn the garlic.
- Add in the smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Cook down until the mushroom are tender and the garlic and onions are caramelizing.
- Pour in the coconut milk and water. Once this is heated mix in the miso paste.
Ta Da! Your cream of mushroom soup is ready to enjoy. I hope you love it! If you try let me know 🙂
And we all live healthy and happily ever after <3